forum canoë bois
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
-45%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
PC Portable LG Gram 17″ Intel Evo Core i7 32 Go /1 To
1099.99 € 1999.99 €
Voir le deal

Pionier Kayak Company

4 participants

Pionier Kayak Company Empty Pionier Kayak Company

Message par cvcstock Mar 7 Mai - 13:56

I am new to the forum and have what I believe is a vintage kayak frame made by the Pionier Kayak Company. A good friend gave the piece to my wife and me who had admired it for so long in his house. We like to decorate our house to provide it with a lake cabin feel, i.e. vintage paddles and oars, vintage wooden skis, antique trapping baskets, vintage trout baskets, antique wooden fishing lures, etc... The frame measures 17 feet 6 inches stern to bow. The beam is 36 inches and the cockpit depth is 14 inches. The frame is made of many wooden rods with metal end caps. A metal sleeve slides over the two ends to join them. Braces are also wooden. The plan is to hang it from the ceiling with a large rope in keeping with our lake cabin theme. More for conversation with friends and family, I'd like to be able to tell them what I have as it will surely be a topic of discussion. I would also like to know what if any value it may have. I don't have any plans to sell it, just curious.
Pionier Kayak Company Bow_to10
Pionier Kayak Company Pionie11
Pionier Kayak Company Pionie10
cvcstock
cvcstock

cvcstock aime ce message

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Pionier Kayak Company Empty Re: Pionier Kayak Company

Message par charles andré Mar 7 Mai - 16:32

Belle charpente !
Pioner était un constructeur allemand de bateaux pliants, représenté aux États-Unis et en France (au moins). Celui-ci a été trouvé aux États-Unis mais il avait initialement été vendu en France. A-t-il traversé l'atlantique à la voile ? C'est peu probable mais en théorie ce n'est pas pas impossible :
Pioner a équipé et soutenu Oscar Speck's dans son expédition en kayak de Berlin à l'Australie de 1930 à 1939.
charles andré
charles andré

cvcstock aime ce message

Message par charles andré Mar 7 Mai - 17:25

La plaque de constructeur indique :
"Salon nautique
29 avenue de la Grande armée Paris"

Le premier Salon Nautique de Paris s'est tenu en 1926, mais c'était une exposition temporaire, principalement sur la Seine.

Au 29 avenue de la Grande armée existe encore aujourd'hui un bel immeuble en pierre de taille de 16 logements sur sept étages construit en 1900. Au rez de chaussée, trois locaux professionnels ou magasins. L'un d'eux a-t-il pu accueillir un revendeur de bateaux nommé "Salon Nautique"? Nous n'en avons pas de trace pour l'instant. Il faudrait voir dans les publicités du Touring-club de France qui était alors tout proche, au 26 avenue de la Grande armée.
charles andré
charles andré

cvcstock aime ce message

Message par cvcstock Mer 8 Mai - 8:07

Thank you, Charles,
How would you advise that I ascertain the age and value of this particular kayak frame?

I am very appreciative of the information you have provided.

Chuck
cvcstock
cvcstock

Message par charles andré Dim 12 Mai - 10:53

C'est probablement un kayak des années 1930.
En France on voit de temps en temps en vente des charpentes comme celle-ci. Elles sont mises en vente entre 50 et 200 euros mais je ne sais pas à quel prix les ventes sont finalement conclues.
C'est un très bel objet pour un décor ! Par contre reconstituer la coque en tissu enduit est très difficile. On ne trouve jamais d'enveloppe en tissu caoutchouté, car la conservation du tissu est bien plus difficile que celle du bois.
charles andré
charles andré

Message par alcédo atthis Dim 12 Mai - 16:57

cela dit , ça fait tout de même un bel objet de décoration , je n'ai pas eu la présence d'esprit de sauver une carcasse comme ça il y a 25 ans sur le trottoir , il n'y avait pas la toile , je venais d'acheter une maison voisine , j'avais d'autres priorité , mais quel beau lustre ça aurait fait Idea
alcédo atthis
alcédo atthis

cvcstock aime ce message

Message par CdT44 Jeu 16 Mai - 17:30

Hi Chuck,

Welcome, and nice to have an overseas member and hope you will find a few answers. It's funny because a lot of people here own a canoe that was built in North America and here you are with the exact reversed situation...

I'm fairly new myself but Charles seems to be the absolute local legend so you are in good hands in terms of information.
I cannot help you ID your boat further but do have some ideas:
- possibly also post on a british forum (https://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/) where you might benefit from a larger group and obviously no language barrier,
- same on a german one if you find one (I don't know one sorry) since Charles says Pionier is a german brand

if you search google and add site:.de at the end inthe search bar it will return only site from Germany domains:
Lots of good info in english on this page for exemple: http://www.kleppermuseum.de/exibiths.html

- you could set up a search on a french version of nextdoor (leboncoin.fr is the place to go) with a few keywords and you might end up seeing a similar frame coming up for sale with more helpful information. Probably even better on a german site.

You tube has actually of number of videos of these
Late 1960s: (youtube)
A 1938 frame: 1938
etc.
By studying these carefully you should be able to spot minor evolutions and maybe ID more precisely your boat, but 1930s sounds right to me too.

Value? You'll find similar frames, sometimes more complete (fabric, oars, accessories) available for a couple hundred dollars on ebay, facebook marketplace, etc. I don't see the value being above 300 dollars for example.
Similarly over here a nice cedar rib canoe from the 1930s retails in the same price range if it's been sitting under a porch for 40 years.
Hope this helps :-)

CdT44

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé